Igreja Sao Roque has a plain storefront, but a pompous interior furnishing. The church was built in 1566 and survived the earthquake in 1755 without any serious damages.
The most important attraction of Igreja Sao Roque is the chapel called “Capela de Sao Joao Baptista” on the left side from the altar. The chapel was built in 1742 in Rome, and later brought to Portugal. Only the best artists were employed and the best materials were taken. Money was not important.
The museum “Museu de Arte Sacra” is located directly next to the church, and offers a model of the fancy chapel in its original materials.